|1847-1918||NJ, Hudson Co, Jersey City|
|1830-1891||Mary DuBois||NY, Ulster Co, Shawangunk|
The Dutch Reformed Church in Roxbury was organized in 1802. In the following years, two church buildings were destroyed by wind and one by fire. In the 1890s Jay Gould promised aid for a stone church but died before any agreement had been made. So his six children took over the project providing funds and sparing no expense on the building constructed in memory of their parents. The impressive stone structure was designed by H.J. Hardenburgh of New York City and completed in 1894.
Tiffany windows grace the apse and the nave of the church. The three windows in the apse depict the resurrection and show Mary, Christ and an Angel. Seen in the image below, the single window in the nave represents faith, hope and charity. The windows in the east and west wings of the church were designed by Maitland Armstrong. The east-facing window depicts Christ blessing little children and the west-facing window shows a choir of angels.
Related albums • See other albumsDelaware Co NY Historical Markers
Related peopleDavid Maitland Armstrong
|Religion > Ministers||4||Roxbury, Dutch Reformed Church|
| Please login or register to leave a comment on this page.|