Military service information is entered and viewed in many different places:
- Add an event with the type "Military". Here you can choose their rank, branch of service, regiment, war or campaign, the side represented, the years served, and awards given, if any. This is then shown as an event with their birth, death, and other events. If the years served are not entered, the event automatically sorts itself depending on the date of the selected war. (If needed ranks, wars, or awards are needed but not listed, contact the administrator.)
After this is saved, you can edit it (or remove it, if entered in error) by clicking one of its links, then finding the person in the list that comes up, clicking that person, and then "Edit Role".
You can also enter a military event while editing the person, though if the above information is known, it is better to enter it as described above, rather than while editing the person.
- When entered as described above, the event shows with multiple links -- a link to all people with that rank and in that war, a link to all people in that regiment (if defined), and a link to all people with that award (if defined). These lists are also accessible from View > "Presidents, Politicians, & Other Officers" > "Military Officers".
On this page, you can again navigate between lists of ranks, regiments, and awards. Each person may customize the choices and order of the columns that appear here. See more information.
The list of people may also be viewed by map (when their places have been identified with map coordinates), and for lists of regiment members, a list of companies for that regiment may also be displayed.
- When entered as above, military ancestors will show with in search results, pedigrees, and descendant charts.
- If it is known which battles someone was in, the battle may be chosen from the list of historical events. Add an event with type "historical event". If the desired event is not listed, you can add it, or contact the site administrator. This then shows as an event for the person, linking to a list of people for the event. This is also accessible under VIew > Historical Events.
In some cases, connections are made between regiments from (2) above, and historical events, when it is known which regiments were at which battles. More to be added when time allows.
- More general resources are found under View > Records:
- listing known soldiers in the US Revolutionary War for NC and SC
- listing many (eventually ALL) US Civil War regiments and companies. Our Family Tree ancestors will automatically be linked in the Civil War regiment lists if entered as described in (1).
- listing North Carolina Civil War solders as shown in composite photos of each NC regiment, and many of the officers of other regiments of other states
- Regiment information for states and counties of origin also show on each state and county page, found under Places > State & County Resources.