Everyone can contribute their local expertise to the work of maintaining the website. With "Adopt a County", like the adopt-a-highway program, interested researchers can select one or more counties or provinces to coordinate -- perhaps the one where you live, or one you know very well.
For each county adopted, you would periodically review data entered for that county, checking the following.
- Validate the spellings of cities, towns, churches, and cemeteries.
Check websites such as GNIS or Wikipedia or Hometownlocator. If you can't find it anywhere, then it's probably not correct.
Note that spelling variations are good to eliminate. For example, if you see "Saint Louis" and "St Louis", or "Mount Pleasant" and "Mt Pleasant", make suggested updates for the least frequent variation to change to the most frequent one.
- Identify latitude & longitude coordinates where possible.
If coordinates are already found,
will appear, linking to places within a radius of distance. Otherwise -- Any of the above websites will list the latitude and longitude. Copy & paste the numbers (decimal format) into the fields on the county page.
For other places not found, try finding it on this map. Clicking a place on the map will give the coordinates of that place.
- Help other researchers with questions regarding locations in the county. For example if someone has a record showing a town in a county you coordinate, and you believe that town is not valid or should be listed under a different county, you could make a suggested update or ask them about it.
- What else? Open to suggestions!
Rather than it all being done (or not done) by the website administrator, it is more effective to spread it out among everyone.
Researchers identifed as a moderator of a county or province have a couple of additional features:
- On the main homepage of the site, an additional box will display, titled "Recent Changes to My Counties". This shows all updates from all users where the person has a place in your county. This will help you to be aware of who is adding what. To relocate this box, click the "Edit Layout" button at the top of the page.
More administrative options and instructions will be added as needed to help you in this endeavor.
To adopt a county, contact the administrator.