In the account page you can register yourself as a researcher and start adding to the tree, or update your existing account. You do not need an account for general searching. After registering, this is on the menu under Account > My Account.
After registering and logging in, more tabs appear on the Account page
- My Name: Fill in the name that you want to appear for you under "Access", "Changes", and "Suggestions". This does not have to be your full name, or even your real name if you prefer.
- Email: Fill in your email address where you wish to be contacted. Note: this is only displayed on the public website for people who are logged in. This avoids any automated web spiders that might browse through looking for addresses to harvest.
If your email address changes, remember to come here to update it.
- Avatar: The avatar is a small image you can use to identify yourself. This will appear next to your name for records you manage, making it easier for others to recognize you. Any image will work, but the size must be 40x40 pixels. Images of any other size will be resized automatically.
- Other Website: If you have another website you would like to share with other researchers, enter it here.
- Logo: If your work here is related to another organization, you can attach the organization's logo here. For example, if you manage a county's GenWeb site, and use this site to store county data, you can attach your county logo here.
- Login, Password: These get you into the system. To avoid others from being able to guess your password, choose something at least 6 characters with a combination of letters, numbers, and other symbols.
- About Me: Enter here anything else you would like to share about yourself or your family research.
- Title of your Tree: A general title of your part of the overall tree. This will appear in the upper right of the page when anyone is viewing a record for which you are the moderator.
- Map Choices: You can select one or two maps that are relevant for your data. These will appear on page that comes up when clicking "statistics" from the homepage, clicking the "Branch" title in the upper right, or clicking into a researcher's page from the "Access" section of a person's record.
Typically these would be states or countries that have the largest number of people from your data, and where you focus your efforts. Then anyone looking at the summary of your work can visually see where your people are from. If you want a state or country that is not shown, ask!
If none are selected, it defaults to the USA and UK.
- Startup Family ID: When you or anyone else first accesses the site and clicks into your tree, this is the family that will come up as the default. This ID number comes from the Changes section of a person's page, labeled as "Family ID".
- Defaults for new records: When you add or import new records, these will be checked as the defaults. They can be changed for individual records by going to the Access section and clicking your name.
:What I see
: Surnames in UPPER Case
: Here each person can decide whether to display surnames in mixed case or upper case. This applies to all records that you view -- it is not related to the preferences of the researcher maintaining the data.
When entering names, do not enter names in all upper case -- if you prefer all upper case, you can choose this as your display, which will change it on-the-fly. If names are typed in all upper case, then those who prefer mixed case don't have this choice.Spell Out USA States
: If you prefer USA states to be spelled out, instead of the 2-letter abbreviations, check this option.Notes Editor
: For the main notes fields, you have the choice of using a WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) editor, or a plain text window. More on the WYSIWYG options on the Notes
: When searching, you can control which branch comes up as the default -- your own, all, or remembering to use the previous one you selected earlier.Field Order
: When entering names, choose here if you want the Title & Suffix fields to be skipped in tabbing order, focusing on only hte First & Last name fields, or if you want all of them to tab through in the order they appear.Background
: For people who have photographs or portraits attached, this says whether to show or hide this as a background
image for that person. If turned on, this helps these people to standout a little more. See an example
. There are 4 choices for how these images may be shown:
- Show Outside -- show only those to the left and right, outside of the main page
- Show Inside -- show only those inside the main page, behind the content
- Show Both -- show both outside and inside
- Hide Both -- Too cluttered for you? You can tell it to show neither.
Map Color Palette Choices
This controls how tags are displayed throughout the site.
- "Color" will show tags in a variety of different colors. New tags get assigned random colors.
- "All Gray" will show only in gray.
- "Plain Text" takes out all the color, and just shows black text.
: The choice of colors here is what you will see on the various state and country maps, on hte home dashboard page, Surname Resources, and State/County Resources.Child field choices
: Like the search field choices, each person can choose which fields appear for the children of a family, and in what order the fields appear.
- Styles -- Fonts and Colors: These are your own personalized colors, fonts, and font sizes for displaying your part of the tree when you or anyone else accesses a page for which you are the moderator. For example, if you prefer a plain white background, and want this to be how everyone views your information, then you can select a white background here.
On the right are a few pre-defined choices to give you ideas and make it easier for you, and a set of optional gradient background colors. Move the mouse over any of these options, and the box on the left will update to show what it looks like.
You are still free to pick any font, size, or color you like using the options on the left -- just pick ones that are pleasant for others to look at. Text suggesting shades of light, medium, and dark is on the screen to guide you for the best results, but the choices are up to you.
To change a specific color, click the small box to the right of a color field, and a popup window should appear.
- Flags: These options create general checkboxes on each person's record, used for miscellaneous needs. Here you may also check if it is to be private, only for you as a moderator. Otherwise this displays for the public. These are searchable through the Other Search Options at the top of the Search Results page.