Here is a list of some of the features built into this system:
Other than by joining and contributing information, you can also help:
- Information is online as soon as entered - no uploading or creating webpages.
- Customizable, flexible pedigree and descendant charts color-coded by birthplace
- Family timeline chart including births, marriages, children, deaths, censuses, deeds, wills, color-coded by place
- Integration with Google Maps for plotting locations, descendant, and pedigree charts
- Finding the relationship between any two people; seeing the relationships of ancestors
- On-the-fly country, regional, and state maps showing the place distribution of surnames
- On-the-fly country, regional, and state maps showing the place distribution by researcher
- Automatic change of place names when boundaries change
- Flexible and customizable search options; saving search options for later
- Statistics graphs showing the average lifespan, average age at marriage, and numbers of people by birthplace, for all of a researcher's branch of data
- Statistics showing the total numbers of ancestors and descendants of any selected person.
- Integrated lists of thousands of politicians, rulers, military officers, school presidents, religious leaders, and other historical figures, including all US Presidents, First Ladies, and thousands more.
- Maintaining complete control over the data you enter
- Notes fields including WYSIWYG text editing; private notes that only you see
- An option to include living people for your own use, but hide them from public access
- Auto-filling place names to save typing
- Integrated date calculator
- Attaching photos and other images, Attaching documents, Embedding videos
- An unlimited number of sources
- An easy way to link to source documents at FamilySearch.org
- A separate entry for recording document texts, and linking each to multiple people
- A full change log, recording who, what, and when anything is updated
- Date feasibility cross-checks, with on-the-fly and email reporting of issues
- An automated check for duplicate people across all branches
- Entering census details for a person, or linking to a census image at FamilySearch.org
- Color-coded occupations
- Lookup lists for occupations, membership organizations, causes of death
- Integrated to-do list for keeping track of all the work you want to do
- Statistics counting how many times and when your records are viewed online
- Flexible custom reports
- Automatic daily backups -- no need to worry about your own backups
- Real-time graphs showing the number of people browsing the data in your branch.
- Home dashboard display to show the information you want to see, and in the layout you want to see it in.
- A choice of displaying surnames in upper or mixed case.
- Customizable color and font settings for how your data is viewed by yourself and other people
- Choosing which columns you want to see in search results and other pages, and in what order
- Automated suggestions for updating other people's entries
- An automated check for potential new relatives in other researchers' data
- Discussion posts by anyone
- An Email-a-Friend option for sharing data with others
- Message board for users to discuss the site and offer help to each other
- Automatic feed out to many state and county websites, linking their sites to your data
- Ability to mark brick walls in your branch
- Integrated links for searching other popular genealogy sites
- Links for surname resources
- Links for county resources, covering all of the U.S. where a county has people linked to it.
- Integrated Y-DNA test results
- If you are skilled at writing documentation -- looking for ways in which this documentation can be improved to be more helpful and intuitive
- If you are skilled at interface or graphic design -- looking for ways in which the webpages and interfaces can be improved to be more helpful and intuitive
Other features to be added as needed -- just ask!