|See a tutorial on linking parents|
Below is shown the "Actions" menu and it's options. Here are some longer descriptions. Note that some menu items may appear and disappear, depending on whether they are relevant for the current couple. For example, if a wife already has linked parents, the option for "Add HER New Parent" will not appear.
The numbers or symbols on the left are shortcut keys that may be used while the cursor is in the "Last Name" search box on the menu to the right of the menu options. For example, just typing "4" will go to the page for adding a new wife for the current husband.
- Index: Go to a blank index, or search results page, where you may define different search options.
- Add Unconnected Person: Add the name and event information for a new person, not yet related to others in your branch or the overall tree. Note: Before adding a new family, do a search over all of the branches here to make sure they're not already entered as part of someone else's branch. If they are already entered, then you can add any missing family members and link them to the existing records.
- Add New Child: Add the name and event information for a child to be linked to the current couple.
- Link Existing Male Child: Link the current couple to an existing male child that is already defined elsewhere in your branch or the overall tree. In the search results, you may change the search options as often as needed until the search finds the person in question, and then double-clicking the child links it to the couple.
This may be a person in your branch, or someone found in another researcher's branch.
- Link Existing Female Child: Link the current couple to an existing female child that is already defined elsewhere in your branch or the overall tree.
- Edit Marriage: Add or edit marriage or divorce information for the current couple.
- Delete Family: The option to delete a family record will appear if the husband or wife has multiple spouses, but now the additional family record is not needed. For example: John has wife Mary, and with a second unknown wife a child Bob. If Bob is deleted or unlinked, the second family for John is still there, but with no children and no wife. If this second family for John is no longer needed, the choosing the "Delete Family" option will remove John's second family page, leaving him with only Mary.
- Edit HIM: Edit the name and event information for the current husband.
- Goto HIS Parents: Navigate to the main page for the current husband's parent(s).
- Add New Wife: Add a new person as a wife of the current husband. Note: If the spouse had other spouses, do a search over all branches first, in case he/she is already entered.
- Link Existing Wife: Link to an existing person as a wife of the current husband. This parent may be a person in your branch, or someone found in another researcher's branch.
- Add HIS New Parent: Add a new parent for the current male.
- Link HIS Existing Parent: Link the husband to a couple that already exists. In the search results, select either parent to create the link. If a selected parent has multiple spouses, another page will prompt for which spouse to choose. This parent may be a person in your branch, or someone found in another researcher's branch.
- Unlink Wife: Unlink the wife's record from the husband's record. This does not delete either person -- only their marriage.
- Unlink HIS Parents: Unlink the husband from the currently linked parents. This does not delete either parent.
- Delete HIM: Delete the husband's record and all related event and historical information. Note that if a person has both parents and children or both parents and spouses, the record cannot be deleted. First either delete or unlink the related records.
A person is also not deletable if there are two or more children. This would orphan each of the children, and may not be what is intended. Instead, go to the children records and unlink or delete the children until the parent has no children or only one child, and then delete the parent.
An automatic backup copy is made of all deleted records, though there is not currently an interface for accessing the backup data. This may be added later, but until then, contact the System Administrator.
The menu options for a wife's record work the same as those for the husband's record.Linking
When linking to an existing person, the list that comes up may be large. If too large, there are two ways to narrow it down, to find the person needed:
1) First, type a first name (and only a first name) in the first name search field at the top of the page, and then
choose the option to link. The search results will be limited to the name you type.
2) After the search results comes up, add or change any of the search options at the top of the page, and click "Search".Unlinking
When you are the moderator for both sides of two linked records, you can choose the unlink options above, and they will immediately show as unlinked. If you linked to someone else's branch, you can unlink them directly only within 24 hours of making the link -- perhaps you realize you chose the wrong person and want to undo it. After 24 hours, the system notifies the researcher on the other end of the link, and they approve the request.Order of the menu
Two options are available for controlling the order of this menu. Under My Account > What I See, changing the "Actions Menu" option here will change how it shows for you.