Adding and editing individuals -- here is an explanation and tutorial for the fields on this page:
At the top of the page are multiple tabs:
On the Main Tab:
- "Main", containing the vital information about a person
- "Flags", containing a list of miscellaneous flags for a person
- "Walls" for marking brick walls and questionable relationships
- "Notes" for additional notes
- "DNA" for recording DNA information.
- Gender: Male, Female, or Unknown. Tip: typing an M or F will skip you down to the next field automatically.
- Names: See the separate help topic on Names for more information.
- Events: See the separate help topic on Events for more information.
- Occupations: When the cursor moves into the "Occupation" field, a dropdown list will appear listing all occupations across the whole website. Click one to select, or type a new one if yours is not found. Up to two occupations may be entered per person, separated by a comma.
Please limit this field to only the occupation titles. Other information such as employer, notes, or commentary can be added in the general notes.
Note that there is also an "Occupation" choice under events, for those that are linked to specific dates or locations.
- Organizations, Memberships, and Tagging: See the separate page on Tagging.
- Sources: See the separate page on Sources.
- Flags: These are general checkboxes used for miscellaneous needs. There are a few always present -- living-private, died early, never married, no children, twins, adopted. Any others you may need you can define yourself under the Account > My Account menu option. Here you may check if it is to be private, only for you as a moderator. Otherwise this displays for the public. These are searchable through the Other Search Options at the top of the Search Results page.
If the "Living-private" box is checked, the individual will only show up when browsing and searching for you or other people marked as moderators of the record -- So you have the choice of including living people for your own reference, but keeping the information blocked from anyone else. Note that if either spouse of a couple are checked, both spouses are hidden.
The "Bef Parent Marriage" checkbox is to indicate someone was born before their parents' marriage.. Checking this removes the person from the feasibility check of their birthdate vs. their parents' marriage date.
The "Marriage bef age 10" checkbox is to indicate someone was marriage before age 10 (presumably an arranged marriage).. Checking this removes the person from the feasibility check of their birthdate vs. their marriage date.
Note that a few of the checkboxes are mutually exclusive -- for example, someone marked as "died early" won't accept "never married" or "no children", as these would be redundant.