President of the American Ophthalmological Society and 3rd editor of its Transactions, died quietly and suddenly at home of cardiac failure April 12, 1976. Though a native of Deland, Florida, Dr Fry was thoroughly a physician of the University of Pennsylvania. He received his M.D. in 1924 and his D.Sc. in 1930 from the University of Pennsylvania. He served his ophthalmic residency at the University of Pennsylvania Hospital and was Chief Resident 1926-27. Concurrently he was an instructor in pathology, a position which he held until 1935. He entered practice with the distinguished Philadelphia leader, Dr Thomas B. Holloway, and continued in that office until Dr Holloway's death in 1936. He was an active clinical practitioner serving both at the Wills Eye Hospital and Research Institute and at the Department of Ophthalmology of the University of Pennsylvania where he became a Clinical Professor of Ophthalmology in 1944. He was promoted to Attending Surgeon at the Wills in the same year and subsequently became the founding Director of the Cornea Service. Within the large Philadelphia County Medical Society he held every office in the Section on Ophthalmology. His final promotion was to Emeritus or Consulting Surgeon on the attainment of appropriate age in 1968.
Dr Fry was interested in ocular pathology and was an initial member of the Verhoeff Society. Of his approximately 50 medical publications nearly 30 concerned ophthalmic pathology. He was elected to the A.O.S. in 1936. As the 3rd editor of the Transactions, 1942 through 1949, he bore enormous personal responsibility for the quality and accuracy of the published volumes 40 through 47. In the years 1951-53 he served on the thesis committee, and candidates for membership learned that theses would have to pass muster before the Department of Biostatistics, English, or History at the University of Pennsylvania if their writing covered such aspects. Subsequently Dr Fry served as a member of the Council 1956- 1960, and as President in 1966.
Dr Fry was deeply and quietly committed to problems of the blind. For over 30 years he was ophthalmologist to the Overbooked School for the Blind in Philadelphia. He was a Director of the National Society for the Prevention of Blindness and a member of the Board of Managers of the Pennsylvania Working Home for the Blind. He was also a regular and faithful colleague of the Lions, serving as Chairman of the Medical Advisory Committee of the Delaware Valley Lions in development of the Eye Bank at Wills Eye Hospital.
He was fondly recognized by his residents and surgical colleagues for precise surgical technique and complete calm in the operating room at all times. He was generous to younger ophthalmologists about him who were accomplishing; but by similar token, was quietly disinterested and aloof from pretenders or those who failed to develop competence. Because of his early interest in corneal pathology and corneal surgery, he gave much strength to the corneal service at the Wills Eye Hospital and brought forward progressively stronger young physicians specializing in this area. He was a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons, the College of Physicians of Philadelphia, where he was chairman of the Section on Ophthalmology, and the American Academy of Ophthalmology and Otolaryngology.
Dr Fry divided his affection for home between Ardmore on the Philadelphia Mainline and the quiet lake and mountains of Chocorua, New Hampshire, where his rambling "Below the Brow" was a treasured summer retreat for family and friends. His bright sense of humor was at its best at home or at the Marion Cricket Club where he enjoyed small numbers of close friends about him.
He is survived by his wife, Irene Fort Fry; one son, Edward Fort Fry, who holds the Dana Chair in Fine Arts at Colgate University; a daughter, Mrs William Lindus Cody Wheaton of Berkeley, California; and one grandchild, Edward Fry Wheaton. His hallmarks of absolute honesty, deep friendship, and soft spoken commitment will be remembered by all of those who knew Dr Fry.