Rev. Edward James Forman
|Birth||1 JUL 1787|
|Death||28 JAN 1845|
Note: Old Mt. Vernon Methodist Church: Info comes from the Mississippi Archives.
In 1835 Edward James Forman had acquired a home near the Homochitto River in Amite county. During the same year, he gathered alittle band of Christians about him and organized a church and called it "Mt. Vernon." Edward was a preacher and pastored the church until 1853, when his son, Ephriam Forman came on the scene and became pastor. The church was sponsored by Ephriam Forman, Newton Huff, David Robertson and Fleming Poole. Ephriam Forman, Newton Huff, and Fleming Poole were all preachers and served this church in a ministorial way until about 1880. After the Civil War there were some great revivals held there.
In 1890, the members decided to move the church nearer the center of the community. This was done and deeded to the Woodville District in 1891. This building was located on the site of the Homochitto school, but still retained the name of Mt. Vernon. The Anders, Browns, Pooles, Scales, Robertson, Butlers, and many others have sponsored this church all through the years.
A few years ago, the old church was torn away and a modern new church replaced it. The Rev. Edward James Forman was buried at the Old Mt. Vernon Cemetery. Most people think that he was moved to the New hope Methodist Church, but only his marker was moved.