Sir Richard Masterson
Aged: 82 years
Was Knighted 1599 by Earl of Essex Lord Lieutenant of Ireland.
Seneschal of Ferns and Wexford Castles-succeeding his father, Sir Thomas.
In 1615 a grant was made by letters patent from the owner to Sir Richard
Masterson, of all the land of Ferns that had been formerly been granted
to his father, with other lands which created the Manor of Ferns, the
Manor Cloghamon and the Manor of Cloghleskin, respectively to hold
forever in "Crownish Soccage". Two years later he had further grant of
lands which created the Manor of Ballchargeene. During his lifetime he
conveyed the greater portion of his estate to John Msterson of Rosmenock
and also a considerable portion to Rowland Masterson of Borishamon.
By his will in 1624 he divided his estate after the death of his wife to
John Masterson of Rosmenock and the heirs male of his body, remaider to
Rowland Masterson of Borishamon and the heirs male of his body. Remainder
to the heirs male of his (Sir Richards) late deceased brother Nicholas
Masterson. An inquisition held at Wexford on 8 Apr 1630 found the extent
and disolution of Sir Richard Masterson's estate, and that the heir male
was Edward Masterson, son of Robert, son of Nicholas. Under the terms of
the will and the prior settlements , John Masterson of Rosmenock came
into possession of the Ferns estate. He died 24 Feb 1624 leaving Laurence
Masterson, his son, and heir then 18 years. Laurence Masterson died in
London on the 21st of Sep 1634 and was interred in St. Clement Danes in
the Strand, appears by his funeral certificate in Ulster's office,
wherein he is described as "Laurence Maisterson of Rossmenocke in the
county of Wexford Esquire, eldest son of John Maisterson of the same
Esquire, the eldest son of Sir Richard Maisterson of Fearnes Knight". He
was unmarried and was succeeded by his brother Thomas in 1641.
Thomas Masterson was in possession, as appears from the Book of
Distribution & Survey, of an estate amounting to upwards of 6400 acres
including "Romenge and other land which had been held by his father. The
estate was delcared to be forfeited and the greater part was granted
under the "Acts of settlement and explanation" to the Earl of Anglesey.
Thomas Masterson appears to have died before the restoration. On the 26th
of June, 1663, a decree was made by the court of Claims in favor of John
Masterson and Frances, his mother, relict of incumbrances on 4548 acres
in the County Wexford.
John Masterson appears, however, to have died before the decree was made,
as on 14th Dec 1662 administration of the goods of John Masterson Sr,
late of "Rosmannocke" to the Co of Wexford, Gent., and John Masterson Jr
was granted to Frances Masterson, widow. On the 15th of Jan 1687
administration to John Masterson Sr of Ferns was taken out by Thomas
Browne of Clondalkin in the Co of Dublin, Gent. to the use of James
Masterson, a minor, next of kin of the said John Masterson, Sr.
Here we lose sight of this panel of the family.