Capt. John Jackson
Aged: 85 years
In 1748 In 1728 great hords of the Scots whose ancestors, a century before had fled persecuted to Ireland, now took ship for the colonies. They began pouring into Pennsylvania and Virginia. Some went to England. At least in 1729, right after Richard Jackson raised the tenant's rents, one of the Jackson families embarked from Port Tush, Ireland, for London. This family had a son John, aged 10. The parents Christian names unknown. They supposedly died in England. In 1748 John Jackson was 29. He took passage for America in same ship as Elizabeth Cummins. The Jackson tradition held, John fell in love with the handsome lady at first sight and wanted to marry her at sea. She withheld her impetuous lover for seven years. In Cecil County, Maryland, they were married in 1755. Elizabeth, an indentured servant, did not gain much foothold in Society of Maryland. They went shortly after their marrieage to the South Branch of the Potomac in Pendleton County, VA. Thirteen years later the Jackson family, increased by the sons, George and Edward, pushed further into the west and settled on the present site, Buchannan Cty. W. VA., patented land on a small creek, Turkey Run. For years their home was called Jackson's Fort. John Jackson was an Indiana fighter, so were his sons. To John and Elizabeth were born eight children, the 2nd son was Edward, born in maryland in 1759, a tall six footer and muscular. At 24 he married Mary Hadder. Her family innigrated from New Jersey before the Revolution. Their 3rd son was Jonathan, born at Jackson's Fort. Jonathan went to school at Clarksburg and Parkersburg. He was still a school boy in 1801, when his father Colonal Edward Jackson left Turkey Run to take up land for himself. He went to Lewis County's fertile peninsula made by the winding Monongahela River. There were six grants of land including nearly on thousand acres. At the nose of the peninsula he built a hewn log house with an ell, back from the river. Seven years later he built a dam and mill, Jackson's Mill, the name of the new house. In 1810, Jonathan Jackson had finished reading to the Harrison Cty bar, in the office of his cousin J. G. Jackson of Clarksburg. He was appointed Commissioner of Internal Revenue. In 1816 he married Julia Beckwith Neals of Parkersburg, a lady of admitted beauty, could read and write as many ladies could not. Sensitive, shy, not robust, they built a house on the main street on Clarksburg. There were four children, Elizabeth 1819, Warren 1821, Laura Ann, 1826, Thomas Jackson Jan. 21, 1824 and Jonathan Jackson died. His widow married Col. Blake Woodson. Tom and Laura Ann went to live with Uncle Cumming Jackson who had fallen heir to Jackson's Mill. Sept. 4, 1831 their mother died. Uncle Robinson, a faithful slave came for Tom and Laura Ann. He was always doing something for Tom, they say. John, Sr. and Elizabeth Jackson's Gt. Grandson became a well known Gen. in history, Lt. Gen. Thomas Johanthan "Stonewall" Jackson.