|Richard Binney + Jane Walker||John H. Conklin +|
Edwin Binney and his cousin C. Harold Smith inherited a pigment business in 1885 from Edwin's father Joseph. The cousins formed a partnership and called their company Binney & Smith. Early products include red oxide pigment used in barn paint and carbon black for car tires. The company began producing slate school pencils in 1900 in a mill located along the Bushkill Creek, approximately 1 mile upstream from the 13th Street Bridge.
The company produced the first box of eight Crayola® crayons in 1903, selling for a nickel. The Pigment Division was sold in 1955 and the company focused on its art materials business. In 1978, the company moved the bulk of its Pennsylvania-based manufacturing from its existing facilities along Bushkill Creek... Read More
|Pics & Attach-|
|Suggest||To suggest changes to these records, login & edit by clicking the names above, & your suggested changes will be saved for the record moderator to review.|
|Added||9-8-2021 11:46 AM||9-8-2021 11:46 AM|
|Updated||9-8-2021 12:06 PM||9-8-2021 11:48 AM|