Fort Alexander, Fort Ripley and Fort Franklin, built to protect the Washington water system in 1861, were connected by earthworks in 1863 and renamed Fort Sumner to honor Maj. Gen. Edwin V. Sumner, A hero of Antietam. The fort’s 28 cannon providea a formidable bulwark against raiding Confederates. Nothing remains of the fort but an outline of it appears on the reverse.
Related albums • See other albumsWashington DC Area Forts
Related locationsMD, Montgomery Co, Fort Sumner
Related peopleEdwin Vose Sumner