Here stood Fort Barnard, a redoubt constructed late in 1861 to command the approaches to Alexandria by way of Four Mile Run and Glebe Road. It was named for General J. G. Barnard, Chief Engineer of the Defenses of Washington. It had a perimeter of 250 yards and emplacements for 20 guns.
Related albums • See other albumsWashington DC Area Forts
Related locationsVA, Arlington Co, Fort Barnard
Related peopleGen. John Gross Barnard