Logo Our Family Tree

Washington DC Area Forts, Washington, DC

Contents

Fort Lincoln

Fort Lincoln

These earthworks are a portion the original fortifications which made up Fort Lincoln. This fort was built during the summer of 1861 to serve as an outer defense of the city of Washington. It was named in honor of President Lincoln by general order no. 18, A.G.O., Sept 30, 1861. The brigade of major general Joseph Hooker was the first to occupy this area. In immediate command of this fort was captain T. S. Paddock. The Civil War cannons have been placed here through the courtesy of the Department of Defense to commemorate this auspiscious occasion.

Ben Jacobson (Kranar Drogin), CC BY-SA 3.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0>, via Wikimedia Commons

Related albums • See other albums

Washington DC Area Forts

Related locations

DC, Washington, Fort Lincoln

Related people

President Abraham "Abe" Lincoln

Sources
Posted By: Ray Gurganus


Updated: 9-22-2021