During the Civil War, the Union built a series of forts to defend Washington, D.C. By 1865 there were 33 earthen fortifications in the Arlington Line. Fort Woodbury (1861) was part of this defensive strategy. Built east of this marker, this lunette fort was named for Major D.P. Woodbury, the engineer who designed and oversaw the building of the entire Arlington Line.
Related albums • See other albumsArlington Co VA Markers
Washington DC Area Forts
Related locationsVA, Arlington Co, Fort Woodbury
Related peopleDaniel Phineas Woodbury