Logo Our Family Tree

The Museum in the Streets, Ridgefield, Fairfield Co, CT

Contents

Historical Marker

Historical Marker

Hiram K. Scott set up the town's first variety and drug store in 1853. Scott was an influential businessman, serving as postmaster, town clerk, probate judge and a druggist for 50 years. He sold his store to Harvey Bissell in the summer of 1895, just six months before the Great Fire destroyed the building. Bissell rebuilt the following year and the drugstore continued in business until, in 2005 it once again burned to the ground. Bissell's lives on although it has moved a half block to the east.

The Ridgefield Savings Bank and First National Bank have had several homes and names. For many years each had their offices in the first floor of the Town Hall. In 1911 the First National Bank, which was formed in 1900, moved to the corner of Main and Governor Streets. The Ridgefield Savings Bank was organized in 1871 by a group of local merchants and businessmen. Its first office was in the building known as "Old Hundred" (see plaque #22). In 1930 its new art deco building was erected at its present site at 374 Main Street, replacing the tenement house seen in the photo.

Related albums • See other albums

The Museum in the Streets

Related locations

CT, Fairfield Co, Ridgefield

Related people

Harvey Platt Bissell
Hiram Keeler Scott

Sources
Posted By: Ray Gurganus


Updated: 7-21-2020