Anna Margaret Patrick Hayes
On November 11, 1901, thirteen prominent citizens discussed the need for a local library. Two weeks later, a constitution was adopted, charter members and a board of trustees were elected, and the Millbrook Free Library Association was formed. The library opened in February 1902, in one room of the Thorne Memorial Building, with 1200 volumes – the vast majority donated by the Women's Christian Temperance Union (WCTU), the rest purchased with money from donations. Given by Mrs. Richard Somers Hayes [Anna Margaret Patrick] in memory of her husband, a Civil War veteran, the Hayes Memorial Library opened in December 1908. The library expanded in 1973 and 2002 to meet changing community needs; it now also provides cultural programs, recreational activities and access to computers.
Related albums • See other albumsThe Museum in the Streets
Related locationsNY, Dutchess Co, Millbrook
Related peopleAnna Margaret Patrick