This house was built in 1843 for William Thompson Nuckolls (1801-1855) and later owned for many years by John D. Jefferies (1838-1910). Built in the Greek Revival style of the antebellum period and altered in the Neo-Classical style of the post-Civil War era, it is a fine example of a mid-19th century plantation house with significant late-19th century alterations.
William T. Nuckolls, a lawyer and politician, had represented what was then Spartanburg District in the U.S. House of Representatives 1827-1833. This house passed through several owners after his death until 1875, when Capt. John D. Jefferies, a Confederate veteran and business-man, aquired it. The house was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2007.
Related albums • See other albumsSouth Carolina Historical Markers
Related countySC, Cherokee Co
Related peopleJohn Davis Jefferies
William Thompson Nuckolls