This site marks the location where Thomas J. Wilson built the first home in what would become the town of Winston. Wilson had received permission from the Moravian Church in 1847 to erect his dwelling north of Salem's central area, as he wanted to live in the country. An attorney, Wilson was a member of the Forsyth County bar for over half a century. Wilson served as Forsyth County's first attorney, was judge for the Eighth Judicial District, a state senator, and mayor of Winston for two terms. After a life of service to First Presbyterian Church, Wilson died in 1900 at the age of eighty-five.
Related albums • See other albumsNorth Carolina Historical Markers
Related locationsNC, Forsyth Co, Winston-Salem
Related peopleThomas Johnson Wilson