It's hard to count all the brands of automobiles that were sold on the south side of Michigan Avenue. Right here, between the Huron River Bridge and Park Street, 17 auto dealers sold 31 different brands of cars and trucks during the 1900s. This land had been built up in the 1800s with a large wooden mill on the riverbank and several homes, some for affluent households. But in 1912 the first auto dealership opened, and this 1/4-mile was transformed into a bustling market for automobiles until the last dealership closed in the 1990s.
Theodore Schaible, the first car dealer along Michigan Avenue, was also Ypsilanti mayor from 1920 to 1922.
Related albums • See other albumsMotorCities National Heritage Area
Related peopleTheodore Ernst Schaible