Here a "Carpenter Gothic" church was consecrated July 1875 by Bishop William Pinkney of Maryland. Built on land purchased by Enoch Pratt, formerly Thomas F. Bowie's estate "Cheltenham" and William Talbert's "Finches Discovery". Bell tower constructed in the 1880s in memory of Rev. Samuel R. Gordon, rector 1853-1882. Cemetery laid off 1884. Regular services discontinued November 1925, church deconsecrated and torn down 1947. John Thomas Eversfield (1833-1885), beloved local physician, is buried here.
Related albums • See other albumsMaryland Historical Markers
Related locationsMD, Prince Georges Co, Cheltneham, Church of the Atonement Cemetery
Related peopleThomas Fielder Bowie