The Beall-Dawson property originally extended from Montgomery Avenue west to Forest Avenue and north to Martins Lane. The house was built in 1815 by Upton Beall, clerk of the Montgomery County Court. The 2 1/2-story brick, Federal-style home is distinguished by elegant architecture that was more common in Georgetown, where the family first lived. It stood out from the more typical and smaller Rockville log and clapboard houses at the time. Now owned by the City of Rockville, it is operated as a museum by the Montgomery County Historical Society. The museum features period rooms containing early 19th century furnishings, and changing exhibits on topics relating to Montgomery County history and material culture.
The Stonestreet Museum of 19th Century Medicine is a one-room doctor's office built for Dr. Edward E. Stonestreet from 1852 to 1903. It contains exhibits on 19th century medicine, the life of a country doctor, and his service as a U.S. Army Civil War surgeon. The building originally stood in front of Stonestreet's home at Monroe Street and East Montgomery Avenue. It was donated to the Montgomery County Historical Society and moved to the complex in 1972. The building had many uses after Stonestreet's death, including a museum, the first public library in Rockville and a ticket office for the Rockville Fair.
Related albums • See other albumsMaryland Historical Markers
Related locationsMD, Montgomery Co, Rockville
Related peopleEdward Elisha Stonestreet