Central part of the house built shortly after grant of 2,000 acres in 1661 to Henry Sewall of London, Secretary of the province. He died in 1665. His widow, Jane, came to Maryland on the same ship as Governor Charles Calvert (afterwards 3d Lord Baltimore), whom she married in 1666. Early 18th century paneling from house is in Brooklyn, N.Y. Museum of Art. In 1720, Col. Henry Hooper bought 1,243 acres of this manor from Maj. Nicholas Sewall, adding land to Warwick Fort Manor.
Related albums • See other albumsMaryland Historical Markers
Related countyMD, Dorchester Co
Related peopleHenry Sewell