|Our Family Tree|
Zooks Mill Bridge
Also Known As the Log Cabin Bridge
Although this bridge is one of the county's earliest surviving covered bridges, it lacks the hand-hewn timbers and hardware that might be expected of a bridge built in 1849. Records show that it was repaired many times, including substantial work done by Elias McMellen at a cost of $930 in 1892.
A mill was once located on each side of this bridge. Zook's Mill, later known as Wenger's Mill, stood on the Warwick Township side of the creek until 1970. A short distance upstream on the West Earl Township side, a fulling mill produced woolen fabric for suits, shirts, and blankets.
Attribution: By William Pope
Related albums • See other albumsLancaster Co PA Bridges
Related engineeringZooks Mill Bridge