Logo Our Family Tree

Lancaster Co PA Bridges, Lancaster Co, PA


Pinetown Bridge

Pinetown Bridge

Crossing the Conestoga since 1868
The first covered bridge at this location was built by Elias McMellen, a well-known local bridge builder. Specifications drawn up in October 1867 state that the bridge is "to be built in one span, on Burr's plan and of single arch" and that the truss is "to be built of good white Pine timber."

Additionally, the bridge is "to be weather-boarded with culling Boards fastened on perpendicular…roofed with No 1 Pine shingles and floored with three inch Oak plank." In June 1868, inspectors appointed to review the completed bridge found that it was "put up in a good and workmanlike Manner, and agreeably to the Contract entered into."

Like many Lancaster County covered bridges, Pinetown Bridge once stood adjacent to a mill. Although the mill was destroyed by fire in 1901, a nearby stone-arch bridge remains. Historically, the road on the west side of the Conestoga River crossed the stone-arch bridge before turning toward the covered bridge. The stone-arch bridge was later bypassed when Bridge Road was moved to its present alignment in the early 20th century.

Website: https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=175091

Attribution: By William Pope

Related albums • See other albums

Lancaster Co PA Bridges

Related engineering

Pinetown Bushongs Mill Covered Bridge

Posted By: Ray Gurganus

Updated: 10-25-2021