In 1903, Frederick G. Bourne, Commodore and Singer Sewing Machine Company President, began building Singer Castle for a hunting lodge. American beaux-arts architect Ernest Flagg designed the 28 room granite castle on Sir Walter Scott's descriptions of "The Towers" in his novel Woodstock. The castle, originally called The Towers, and many of the island's other buildings, were completed in 1905.
Granite was quarried from Oak Island and transported to the castle over water and ice. Italian and local stonemasons shaped the granite into the ornately detailed main castle, grand boathouses, pergola, ice house, and other island structures. The 7 acre island itself is too small for hunting, it was used as a family summer retreat and as an elaborate base camp for hunting and fishing in the north country. The castle has been continuously occupied since its completion and still contains the original furnishing and decorations.
Related albums • See other albumsGreat Lakes Seaway Trail Scenic Byway
Related countyNY, St Lawrence Co
Related peopleFrederick Gilbert Bourne