Logo Our Family Tree

District of Columbia Historical Markers, Washington, DC

Contents

Duvall Foundry

Duvall Foundry

Built between 1856 and 1866 as a machine shop by William T. Duvall, the Foundry is typical of commercial structures of that period. Duvall purchased the land from Thomas Beall, a grandson of Ninian Beall who was one of Georgetown's first settlers in the early 1700's.

After 1870, the Foundry housed a variety of businesses. One of the most unusual was a veterinary hospital which cared for the mules used on the C & O Canal.

Restoration of the Foundry by 1055 Thomas Jefferson Associates took place between 1973 and 1976. The building was temporarily moved 80 feet south to allow construction of a new foundation.

AS it stands today, the Foundry is testimony of a bygone era, complementing the C & O Canal National Park and offering visitors a pleasant stop in historic Georgetown.

Related albums • See other albums

District of Columbia Historical Markers

Related county

DC, Washington

Related people

Thomas Beall
William T. Duvall

Sources
Posted By: Ray Gurganus

  1. Email: Ray Gurganus, personal photograph;

Updated: 11-9-2020