Central Public Library
This majestic building was opened in 1903 as the Central Public Library, popularly known as the Carnegie Library because Andrew Carnegie donated funds to build it. From the start Central was open to all. Mary Church Terrell and historian John Cromwell spoke here regularly, and materials on African American history and culture were especially useful to teachers preparing for “Negro History Week” (now Black History Month). In 1972 the library moved to Ninth and G Streets, NW, and was renamed to honor the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. This building became part of the University of the District of Columbia, and today houses the Historical Society of the District of Columbia.
Related albums • See other albumsAfrican American Heritage Trail
Related countyDC, Washington