Second Baptist Church
Second Baptist Church was organized in 1848 by seven members of the Nineteenth Street Baptist Church. Under the leadership of the Reverend Sandy Alexander — eventually one of the country's best-known black Baptist ministers — the church purchased this site in 1856 for its first permanent building. According to oral tradition, the building was a stop on the Underground Railroad. The church ran a children's day school after the Civil War and later established a Sunday School Lyceum, attracting such nationally prominent speakers as Frederick Douglass and Rev. Adam Clayton Powell, Sr.
The present Gothic Revival church (1894) was designed by white architect Appleton P Clark, Jr.
Related albums • See other albumsAfrican American Heritage Trail
Related locationsDC, Washington, Second Baptist Church