Aged: 78 years
About 1810, this entire family migrated tto present Pike County,Mississippi, where John Bond and his wife died during the 1820s.
Regarding the parentage of Eleanor Bond, we can only offer a fewconjectures at this time. It is our beief that, like her husband, shewas related to more than one of the families living on the south side ofPamlico River. More particularly, there seems to be basis for theconjectute that she was somehow related to the Grace Peyton who died in1754, and to Mrs. Eleanor Peyton who died in 1751. The latteer was thwwife of Benjamin Peyton (died 1748), a wealthy planter of Durham Creek,Assemblyman and Provost Marshall of Beaufort. By a previous marriage toWilliam Bell, Sr., Eleanor Peyton, had children William, Jr.,Anne, Sarahand Keziah Bell. Two daughters by Benjamin were Eleanor and Grace. ThePeytons had conneections with the Roes, Pritchetts, Wallises, Tripps andother connected with the Bonds. John and Eleanor Bond named one of theirdaughters Grace and they had at least one grandson named Peyton. Toexplore this matter fully might require long research into severalfamilies, a task we have not yet undertaken. We merely offer speculationfor what they might be worth, hoping they may help someone else identifyEleanor Bond's parents.
Several land transactions of John Bond are found in the dead recordsduring the 1770s. He was then the John Bond, Junior of Beaufort County,N.C.,being the junior to his cousin, the son of William Bond.. On April9, 1772, John Bond Jr., purchased from Coleman Roe 300 acres of land onthe east side of Durham Creek. A few days later on April 15th, he boughtan adjoing tracts of 230 acres that belonged to the Estate of Sarah Roe.On December 1, 1773, John Bond, Jr. sold all this land to John Bennett.Recorded in Deed Book 4, p 443 is a deed dated December 24, 1774 fromWallis to John Bond, Junior, conveying 225 acres on Long Point (this isthe north side of South Dividing Creek), witnessed by John Tripp andJames Hudson. Deed Records do not show how John Brond, Jr. disposed ofthis and some other land, but the tax rolls tell us approximately thedisposal date.
The tax roll of 1779 shows "John Bond, Junior" assessed for landvalued at 1610 punds; and, also, informs us that the Assessors for hisdistrict werre "John Trippe, Thomas Campen and JOHN BOND, Jr. The nextextant tax roll. for 1784, shows John Bond, Junior gone from the list,and he does not appear again on subsequent rolls. So it was between 1779and 1784 that he left Beaufort County and commenced the migrations thateventually ended in Mississippi.
The Bond Family Migration
John Bond was living in South Carolina in 1785, when his son Jameswas born. Examination of a great many South Carolina records at thisperiod leave no doubt that he was the John Bond who recieved a grant of245 acres in Orangeburg District on April 4, 1781. He resided therreuntil about 1794, then he moved to Hancock County, Georgia,here he andsonme of his then grown sons appear in the earliest records.
The first tax roll of Hancock County, Georgia for 1794, lists hisson, Henry Bond, without mention of land. In 1795, John Bond and anotherson, Gideon Bond, are listed. They were then located on the head of TownCreek, southwest of Sparta, georgia, but soon moved a bit farther westand settled on Little Rocky Creek. Deed whereby they aquired land onTown Creek are not of record. However, recorded in Deed Book 2, pp 141and 146, are two deeds, dated February 2, 1801, wherein John Bond andGideon Bond, respectively, sold 100 acres and 64 acres on Town Creek toJoseph Waller.
Two years earlier, on February 27, 1799, John Bond had bought fromJames and Nancy Pritchett 198 acres on Little Rocky Creek; and on January2, 1801 (just one moth prior to sale of land on Town Creek) the samegrantors sold Gideon Bond 73 acres on Little Rocky. Henry Bond's homewas near by on Big Island Creek, a stream that flows parallel and veryclose to Little Rocky. James Pritchett owned considerable landthereabouts and remained a neighbor. Others adjoing neighbors were JoeRoe and Shadrack Roe (the latter married Elizabeth Hudson in CravenCounty, N.C. on Aug. 21, 1787). A short distance away, on South ForkCreek, were the families of Major John Tripp, Henry and William Tripp,owners of large properties recieved by grant before 1790. Some of theHudsons also were among this group of kinsmen and old neighbors fromBeaufort County, North Carolina.
Recorded in Hancock County, Georgia Deed Book E, p 144 is a deed,dated May 15, 1800, wherein John and Eleanor Bond conveyed to WilliamHill a tract of 881/2 acrres on Little Rocky Creek for $400.00. The deedwas witnessed by James Pritchett, James Walter and Mat Kinchen, J. P.Recorded in Book E, p 148 is another similar deed of same date, whereinJohn and Eleanor Bond sold same grantee a tract of 11/4 acres "betweenwaters pf Little Rocky Creek and Oconee River", bounded by Bond's,Maddox's and Mehone's lines. These documents are of special interest,for in no other Bond deed recorded in Hanock County did a wife sign withthe husband.
While living in Hancock County, John Bond, Sr. John Jr., Gideon andHenry Bond each recieved two draws in the Georgia Land Lottery of 1805.John Jr. and Gideon drew "Lots" in Baldwin County; the others drew blanks.
It was about 1805, apparently, that members of the family movedacross the Oconee into Baldwin County, Georgia. Land Transactions therecannot be followed for the early deed records of that County that havebeen destroyed. However, they settled in a vicinity which was cut offfrom Baldwin in 1807, Superior Court of Jones County, at the Courthouse,Gray,Georgia, records February 18, 1801 to serve on the first GrandJury. On page 2 it is recorded that when court convened on April 4,1808, only John Bond, Jr., Senior or Junior or of recorded in JonesCounty. John Bond, Sr., was witness of a deed to William Bond to LeviEllis on January 13, 1809. There are two or three land transactions ofboth william and Henry Bond between 1809 and 1811, during which time theBond family was undergoing migration to the Mississippi Territory.
Early Years of the Bond Family in Mississippi (1810-1825)
By 1810 John Bond, Senior was over sixty and the patriarch of asizable clan. Most of his children were married, some of years, and hadgrowing families of their own. By the end of 1812 this entire family hadmigrated to Mississippi was and settled near Homesville, in present PikeCounty. They are to be counted among the earliest pioneers of thisregion, for South Mississippi its first waves of white settlers.
Forerunner and "scout" of the family migration apparently was JohnBond, Junior, then 39 years old, who first traveled to Mississippi underGeoorgiiia Passport issued to "John Bond og Jones County, Georgia", datedOctober 11, 1809. There is no absolute certaintythat it was JOhn Bond,Jr. and not JOhn Bond, Sr. to whom this passport was issued; but, becauseof the ages, we assume it was the younger Bond. Be that as it may, theothers soon followed. John Bond and William Bond are enumerated as headsof families in the 1810 Census of Amite County, Mississippi.
Our ancestors came to south Mississippi when itn was still a territory.During this period there was a great migration of people from theCarolinas and Georgia who came down the Tree Notched Way, Natchez Trace,or Mississippi River and settled in an area between the Mississippi andPearl Rivers. Many were substantial planters from Georgia searching fornew land on which to plant tobacco and cotton. They brought with themall of their earthly possessions packed in wagons or on flat boats. Ifthey came overland, the woman and children rode in four wheel carriagesor two wheel carts, depending upon their economic status. The men andslaves drove the teams, ox carts, and herded the oxen, cattle, sheep, andpigs.
Hundreds of people, seeking "Land of Promise" literally flowed intothe area with their families expecting to build fortunes in this lussh,virgin territory. This whole region was furtile, covered with greatforests of hardwood trees, dotted with narrow valleys of luxurientgrasses and vast streams of water alive with fishes; the forests werefilled with wild game, all giving enterprising men great hope of wealthto be gained from timber, cotton, tobacco, sugar cane or live stock.Sooon the great forests were giving way to the fields.
There were Indians but there are no records of any seriuos Indiantrouble in this South Mississippi area even though they remained thereseveral years before assigned to the Indian Territory-now part ofOklahoma.
These settlers brought with them an inate love of adventure, freedomof religion and of liberty. Among these early settlers wre many of deepreligious convictions. Many belonged, as did our Bond family, to theBaptist Church, which was the earliest in this area, particularly the oldSilver Creek Baptist, bears the names of various members of the Bonds andallied families.
These were stirring and distressing times bewtween the war betweenthe United Stated and England, 1812-1815. Many still had parents orrelatatives who has served in the Revolutionary War and were bred todefend their principles. This area, near the Silver Creek BaptistChurch, contained the trace used by the army of Andrew Jackson on theamrch to victory at New Orleans. Earlier, Jonh Bond, Jr.-then acaptain-, stirred by patriotism organized a company from this area, aunit of the 13th Regiments of Mississippi Mounted Riflemen. The Rosterof this company bears the names of his own brothers and many relatives asrelated in the following pages under their individual names. Claims forbounty land and pensions for serive by these men, filed many years later,afford valuable information. After the turmoil of war, these settlerssettled themselves down to the business of building communities andchurches, and to the formation of the State of Mississippi-which had itsvery beginnings in the south Mississippi area.
The region where the Bonds first settled along the Bogue Chitto andLove Creek, below Holmesvilled, was in Amite County when the family firstwent there. However, this area was cut off from the Amite in December1811 and included in the new county of Marion, of which the Bonds wereresidents for some two years. Subsequent county divisions threw thembriefly into Lawerence County; and, finally in 1815 all were residents ofPike County except James Bond, who remained a resident of Lawerence whenPike County formed. Very few earlyt records of this area are extant.All the early records of Pike County were burned in the Courthouse fireof 1882; most of the Marion County records are gone, and many fromLawerence are missing. Almost the only remaining sources of informationare a few ragged old tax rolls preserved at the Mississippi Department ofArchives and History, Jackson Mississippi., together with some censusrolls, and military records of the War of 1812.
The early Bond kand record extant is a grant recieved by John Bond,dated December 21, 1811, for 160 acres located "on Beaver Creek" in AmiteCounty. It is uncertain whether this is the identical 160 actres "onBogue Chitto" for which John Bond annually paid taxes from 1812 through1816. The question has arisen as to whether it was John Bond, Senior orJohn Bond, Jr. who owned this Bogue Chitto property, with no way ofmaking it certain. Whatever the case, father and son undoubtedlyoccupied the place together for several years, and it is only in 1817that "John Bond, Junior" appears on the old tax rolls.
The first tax roll of Marion County was 1812 and lists "John Bond,160 acres Bogue Chitto"; it also lists John Bond and William, Bondwithout mention of location. Walter Jacob, husband of Gracey Bond, islsited on this listed "Pearl River" on this 1812 list; but, subsequentlyis on Love Creek where he continues until the year oof 1827. TheLawerence County Tax roll for 1831 adds the names of Henry Bond andRobert Bond, each with 160 acres on the Bogue Chitto. Gideon Bond isfirst listed in 1814, but he had been in Mississippi in 1813. James Bondlocated on Whitesands Creek before 1815, being a resident of LawerenceCounty. Pike County tax roll for 1817 shows William Bond and WalterJacob on the Love Creek; Henry Bond had moved to 320 acres ibb the"Bailey Chitto" (near Magnolia, Mississippi) where Gideon Bond locatedaround 1820. John Bond, Jr., is taxed for the land on Silver Creek."John Bond,on the Bogue Chitto" is permanently gone from the tax roll in1817.
A general and final dispersal of John Bond, Senior's children haadcommenced by 1816, when a special census of Mississippi Territory wastaken. This census finds the familly grouped together for neighbors forthe last time.
The census of Pike County of 1816 shows that John Bond, Senior andhis wife were then alone in their home. Next door to them, undoubtedlyliving on the same land, was John Bond, Jr. with a wife and fourchildren. Col. John Bond, Jr. as he came to be called, moved toCovington County about 1819, eventually living in Harrison County.Living near his parents in 1816 was Robert Bond with a wife and onechild; about 1829 he moved to Hancock County, where he died in 1849.Near to Robert in 1816 were Walter and Gracey Bond Jacob with one boy andthree girls; about 1826 they moved to Hind and later to Yazoo County.Down the list came the home of Gideon Bond, whose family of twelvepersons included seven females under the age of twenty-one at least onedaughter was already married. James and Frances Bond Batson are listedwith one boy and two girls; they moved to Hancock County, Mississippibefore 1820, and later to Louisiana. Next door to them were Henry andGideon Bond were the only brothers to remain permanently in Pike County.Living near Henry was William Bond with wife and six children. He movedto Lawernce County and in 1820 was living next door to his brother, JamesBond. William soon moved to Hancock County, settling in an area later tobecome a portion of HA=arrison County where he died in 1862. James Bondmoved from Lawerence to Hinds in 1826, later moving to present MontgomeryCounty where he died in the 1850s.
As indicated by the tax rolls, John Bond, Senior moved from his homeon the Bogue Chitto in 1817. By 1820 he was upwards of seventy years ofage, and the Census of 1820 shows that he and his wife were then livingwith-or next door to-Walter and Gracey Bond Jacob. The exact dates oftheir deaths are not known, but it is believed that both died in GraceyJacob's home prior to 1826, which was the year the Jacob family movedfrom Pike to Yazoo County.
John Bond, Sr. and Elleanor Bond reared a family of remarkablyvigorous and competent sons and daughters, and their high qualities ofmind and character have been evinced in a vast number of theirdescendants, in all branches-whereever they lived and in many walks oflife. We are happy to enumerate many of them in the following pages; toenlarge upon all their social, political and educational accomplishmentswould far exceed the limitations of this book. We believe that JohnBond, Sr. would be proud of his progeny; we hope these pages will inspireveneration for that heretofore forgotton and neglected ancestor in thehearts of those now living.
Is our family Descended from Bond of Earth?
We have purposely delayed this fascinating question, wishing firstto acquaint our readers witht he foregoing Colonial and pioneerforebearers of our Bond family. People of the stock of the ancient Bondfamily of Earth came to America from time to time. It is quite possiblethat the ancestry of John Bond of Beaufort traced back to Earth, and weventure to express the belief that it did. Although no verbal legend tothat effect was handed down to our own generation, there is somethought-provoking evidence that such was the case.
In her book, "The Batson Family", Mrs. Vivian Davis Bornemann tellsus that about the turn of the century there will still in existance awalking cane that belonged to Col. John Bond, Jr; and, carved on it wasthe Bond emblem, which he said was his old family escutcheon. Also,reproduced is her book is a "Momento" from among Col. Bond's persoanlpapers, preserved by Mrs. Bornemann. It is a sketch of the Coat of Armsof Bond of Earth and Holewood, with the pegasus crest.
A very unique thing about the sketch is that, instead of the usualmantling, a mariner's compass showing the four cardinal directions isdrawn around the outside of the shield. This design certainly had somevery persoanl significance, and suggests some kind of nautical backgroundin the family. This is not at all surprising, considering the many Bondswho were mariners themselves or engaged in the seafearing enterprisesduring Elizabethan and Colonial times; we have mentioned only a fewinstances of them. The combination of the Bond Coat of Arms and thecompass suggests to us that the Bond forebearer who made the orginalsketch drew his family emblem, then added the compass to symbolize someevent in his own life, or the life of some forebearer.
Aside from the nautical aspect, Col. John Bond, Jr's father, JohnBond, Senior, was born and reared at a time and in a society that hadproper esteem for gentle birth, and not only treasured but made use ofheraldic devices. We may be sure that John Bond, Sr. was thoroughlyacquainted with his family incredible that Colonel John Bond, Juniorwould have possessed and treasured the articles mentioned here unless heknew full well that his family was entitled to bear the old Coat of Armsand Bond of Earth.
[samuel allen (from GEDCOM).FTW]